Sunday, February 24, 2008

Rough lede

For my story covering the topic of credit card debt and college students , I want to focus on how Towson University students work to erase debt or avoid it completely. I've already spoken to students on campus who have mastered the plastic card and I'm interested in seeing what other options are offered from campus or from Chevy Chase Bank.



For a lede, I'm considering opening with, Towson University students consciously conquer and avoid credit card debt through self control and money management skills.



While I would need to do much more research, this is definitely the main point I want to focus on in my story.

8 comments:

Dr. Spaulding said...

Great start here--you've got a clear angle and a very short lede. This shows the value of drafting a lede early in the writing process, I think. It forces you to focus your reporting and writing. Here are a few questions to keep you going:

1) What specific facts are conveyed in this lede?

2) Is there any attribution in this lede? Should there be?

Mandy W. said...

I really like your lede because it localizes the problem and it is very clear what you're going to write about. I also like your word choice. Great job!

pueschel said...

I think that your lede has a clear start, it may need a little tweaking but you understand what you want to write about.

Unknown said...

I like the verb conquer. It really protrays how college students are going to solve credit card debt. Nice job! :)

emily kunkel said...

sounds good. i like "consciencly conquer". it sounds intriguing

Anonymous said...

I really like your angle on this story. It's not about the harsh side effects of college students in debt. It provides another side of the story. Great job!!!

Ashley B said...

I like this lede. I love your word choices and it interests me because I know I do not have self control or any money management skills so I want to know what other people are doing!

Melanie Anne said...

Good lede. I like that you included Towson at the beginning. As a Towson student, seeing my school at the beginning of an article really catches my attention, more so than if it just said college student.