Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Covering crime stories

In order to cover a local crime story in the Towerlight, I would need to collect basic information to inform the students of the situation. While there are no victims, I would make the point that campus police uncovered the plot before anyone was hurt. I would write that the investigation was still proceeding, as the evidence was only discovered the previous evening.

As for suspects, I would not mention the student's name and information until he or she was charged for the crime, but I would discuss if an arrest had or had not been made. If the police were searching for a suspect, I would be sure to release the appearance information in order to facilitate their search. In order to obtain such information, I would try to get in touch with students who lived in the residence hall where the bombs were found. Also, interviewing residence life staff or campus professors may provide needed information.

I would provide the readers with as much detail about the crime as possible, hopefully straight from the police report. I would also release the punishment given to the suspect if they were to be convicted, including jail time or fine.

Due to the seriousness and severity of the event, I would face difficulty writing the story without emotion. I would struggle to portray the facts but keep from scaring the student body more than they already will be.

For multimedia angles, I would provide links to Towson's security statement on their web page. I would also feature a video on what it takes to build a pipe bomb and video interviews of students expressing their feelings about the situation.

No comments: