Sunday, April 6, 2008

Interviews and rough lede

I spent the remainder of last week attempting to reach everyone Ms. Mayhew provided the contact information for. Apparently, Thursday and Friday were very busy days for everyone at IHS. As I returned home for the weekend in the lovely state of New Jersey, I was unable to interview anyone else for my feature story. I will get up early tomorrow to try to contact the other participants in the loan repayment program and will hopefully have all of my interviews completed for the due date of the assignment.

As for a feature lede, I want to really tie in the angle of how much participants actually receive and how unique the program is. I was contemplating starting the story with:

Every year, thousands of students across America graduate from college with two consequential items: a diploma and debt. Whether accumulated through endless bar tabs, outrageous bookstore purchases or especially tuition, student debt is a prominent and growing problem.

The Indian Health Service (IHS), an organization dedicated to ensuring that American Indians and Alaskan Natives have access to personal and public health services, has a stellar loan repayment program. For their two-year service obligation, IHS will pay up to $20,000 per year to pay off undergraduate student loans.

No comments: