Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Washington Post Trip

The sound of my alarm at 8 a.m. on Friday morning triggered one main repeating thought in my groggy mind: "Why on earth did I sign up for this trip?"



After returning home later that evening at 7:30 p.m., I had a couple answers to the morning question.



About 15 Towson students, mostly members of MCOM407, piled onto a bus and headed into DC on an overcast Friday morning around 10 a.m. We arrived at the Washington Post and after being scanned into the building, we took the elevator to a room containing and delicious lunch spread (there were even vegetarian sandwiches for people like me!) and a long table with comfortable chairs. Rob Curley, our host, arrived once we all started eating and began the presentation.



Overflowing with personality, Curley showed an impressive interactive slideshow of projects he has been part of in the past. Listening to him for 3 hours was like watching an exciting, educational, and downright comedic television show. Personally, I was touched by his conscious effort to ensure that every day people of the community were highlighted in almost every project he participated in. My favorite, OnBeing, was an archive of short interviews of random individuals from the DC area. The videos are extremely touching and I recommend watching all of them!



Curley gave our group a lot of insight into the field and some powerful words of wisdom to take with us. We left the Post and headed to Virginia for a quick tour of the WashingtonPost.Com newsroom, which proved to be interesting and fun as well! We said goodbye to Curley, but not before promising to friend him on Facebook, and boarded the bus to head back to Towson.



Noelle, Danielle, Professor Lieb and myself then proceeded to spend a half an hour of our trip discussing our idea of a new Towson Blog- complete with a directory of all things Towson, news stories and interviews, and awesome photography. Inspired by a day with Rob Curley, we will hopefully get the ball rolling soon and prove to the University how crucial blogging can be.



Thanks for a great time, Professor Lieb, Professor Spaulding and Rob!

2 comments:

Dr. Spaulding said...

Nice post here! Glad you enjoyed the trip. Hope you don't mind if I ask you to talk about it in class.

Heidi G said...

Hey Annie, my name is Heidi Greenleaf and I was also on the field trip. I'm the EIC for the Towson 501, a new online newspaper for Towson University and the surrounding community. If you're interested in writing articles, posting video, taking photos, etc, please contact me at hgreen@towson501.com. Thanks!